Folk Magic of the Haven Isles
The book is a 60-page casebound A5 hardcover with matt finish to the cover, and 170gsm full colour silk interior pages bonded into the spine. Black endpapers.
Folk Magic of the Haven Isles is a role-playing supplement for old school role-playing games. Its focus is on magicians, wizards and magic-users. The book is written for Swords & Wizardry and therefore can be used in all retro-clones and old school role-playing games with little or no work.
- A5-sized (148mm wide x 210mm high OR Approx. 5.8″ wide x 8.3″ high) and containing 60 interior pages comprising 19 pages of evocative, full colour illustrations.
- 14 Magic-User sub-classes, such as the Peller, Hermetic Magician, Demon Slave, Toadman, Spae Wife, Stitch Witch, Green Child, and Apple Queen/King. These sub-classes are ‘overlays’ that are intended to be used in conjunction with the magic-user class, giving them benefits, drawbacks and flavour.
- 16 Magic-User backgrounds such as the Arcane Gloombugger, Cultist, Goblin Stinkbinder, and Stone Tender. Unique and flavourful micro-stories that make your magician unique and explain how they came to practice magic.
- 7 Tomes (spellbook ideas) such as the Little Key of the Whole Art of Hydromancy. Ideas for spellbooks that can be the goals of magician’s quests.
- 16 Magical Spells such as Gloomray, Transmute Lead into Gold, Enforce Queueing, and more. Usable in any old school game.
- 4 Oddities of the Haven Isles. Unusual objects, flora, and fauna such as the Mandrake and Wizard Hole.
- A Glossary
- Open Gaming License (OGL)
But I don’t have or play any old school role-playing games. Is it still useful?
Absolutely. It is intended for any fantasy role-playing games to inspire and provide ideas for players and Game Masters alike. If you know what HD and Saving Throws are, you will be easily able to understand and adapt most of the rules-related content in this book.
A Note About The Midderlands
- If you know anything about The Midderlands fantasy setting, you will see information within the book that makes it directly usable with The Midderlands setting. It is 100% compatible.
- If not, don’t worry! You don’t need to know anything. There is a glossary that explains what any unfamiliar (mainly geographical) words/terms are. In your own setting, you can just swap out place names.
This product is also available in Softcover Print (A5 and 6×9″) and Digital PDF versions from DriveThru RPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/316831/Folk-Magic-of-the-Haven-Isles